Campers Urged to Take Care This Bank Holiday

Aug 21, 2012 by Warren

Fire Engine – Photo: SaltGeorge

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service are urging campers to take care this Bank Holiday weekend.

The calls comes following a number of incidents nationally in which people have died from taking barbecues that are still smouldering into their tents.

Head of Risk Reduction, Glynn Luznyj said: “A lot of people are expected to go camping this Bank Holiday weekend, however the forecast is looking rainy and so we’re concerned that people may be tempted to take their barbecues or camping stoves into their tents, so they’re protected from the elements. However this poses a big danger due to the toxic gases which are produced that can be deadly, even after you’ve finished cooking.

“We’d urge campers to make sure they cook outside of their tents and also make sure their cooking equipment is a safe distance away from the tent – a fire can destroy a tent in just 60 seconds.

“In the event of a fire, get everyone out straight away, call the fire service and stay away from the tent.”

The following fire safety camping tips will help ensure your holiday is as safe as possible:
·         When pitching your tent ensure that tents are kept at least six metres apart.
·         Find out what the firefighting arrangements on the campsite are and where the nearest telephone is.
·         Have an escape plan and be prepared to cut your way out of the tent if there is a fire.
·         Flammable liquids and gas cylinders should be kept outside of the tent and away from children.
·         Only change gas cylinders when they are completely empty and store them away from caravans and vehicles. Ensure there are no naked flames or smoking in the vicinity when changing cylinders.
·         Do not cook inside tents or near flammable materials or long grass.
·         Keep cooking appliances away from the tent walls as they could easily set alight.
·         Keep a torch handy for emergencies – never use candles in or around tents.
·         Do not smoke inside tents.
·         Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
·         Make sure everyone knows how to put out clothing that’s on fire – stop, drop and roll.
·         Never take a BBQ inside a tent otherwise you may be susceptible to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Advertise here for only £30/month!

Have your say!

I'm sure we don't really need to tell you but please, keep it civil and healthy.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>