Blind Cord Dangers Highlighted
Parents and guardians of small children in Staffordshire are being warned of the serious dangers of blind cords as part of national Child Safety Week.
Staffordshire County Council’s trading standards team is reminding people that blind cords present a potentially lethal danger in the home. The team is working with children’s services to raise awareness throughout the week.
It will be in two county locations next week offering guidance, reminding people to check blinds and use cord tidies. However the team wants people countywide to take action and make their homes safer.
Since 1999, 22 children have died in the UK after being strangled by blind cords. Three of these have been in Staffordshire.
Next Tuesday, June 19, the team will be in Leek at the Haregate Breakfast Club in Ball Haye Road (9.30am to 11.30am), the FAB Group, St Luke’s Church, Fountain Street (midday to 2pm) and Soft Play at Brough Park Leisure Centre in Ball Haye Road (1.30pm to 3.30pm).
On Friday, June 22, the team will be in Tamworth at Boots in Ventura Park, where they will also be offering free car seat checks.
Staffordshire County Council’s cabinet member for public health and community safety Robert Marshall said:
“It is a tragedy that blind cords have been responsible for the deaths of children in here in Staffordshire and across the country.
“By raising awareness of this issue, we can prevent accidents in the future. All parents can overlook potential dangers in the home, particularly if they’re not obvious.
“While manufacturers have a responsibility to make sure their product is safe, we can do our bit to help people to understand where these hazards lie.
“The trading standards team will be in Leek and Tamworth during Child Safety Week; however we need everyone to be aware. If any home is made safer in Staffordshire as a result we will have achieved a success.”
People can find out more by visiting www.makeitsafe.org.uk